Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Relationship's

It's funny how my time in the Word always seems to reflect conversations or events that have happened recently. Last night Sara, Emma, Billy and I sat in the living room and a conversation started about relationships. It was really Billy and Sara talking about it as I listened in and Emma half slept on the couch. None the less there were some interesting things stated that I enjoyed hearing. I have started to read through 1 Corinthians. Today I am on chapter 7 and this is a whole chapter of Paul expressing opinions on marriage and relationships. One main thing he said that caught my attention was the God gave some of us the gift of marriage and some the gift of singleness. Paul has quite strong feelings about singleness as he states that being single makes it so much easier to focus on God, because marriage is a strong commitment and there is just that much to be a part of taking away from God time. As I wrote down in my notebook/journal thing about what I just read and learned I decided I would also write down how I feel about it. Half way through writing I came to a realization. As much as I would love to meet some "perfect" guy that is all I want in a relationship and is a complete possibility for marriage I have to wait. I am such an impatient person and waiting is not what I want to do. But I have realized that I need to put my trust in God and know that He knows best. I now know that the reason I am single, the reason there are no potential "guys" is because I am not ready. God knows how immature and young I am in OUR relationship. God knows how much more learning I have to do and how much closer I can be to Him with out the distraction of an earthly relationship. I do not and will not know if it is Gods will to let me be a married person when I am older but I know for now, I am not ready to have a relationship. 1 Corinthians 7: 34 says "...in the same way, a woman who is no longer married or has never been married can be devoted to the Lord and holy in body and in spirit. But a married woman has to think about her earthly responsibilities and how to please her husband." I am not married AND I am not completely devoted to the Lord. I need to first be completely devoted to the Lord BEFORE he can put me into a relationship. I know for sure a relationship would be way to much of a distraction for me and so I will now work on committing myself to God. Not for the reason of reaching the goal to be ready for an earthly relationship, but for the goal to be satisfied that I have an excellent, everlasting relationship with Jesus Christ.

PS. Paul gives me assurance when he writes, "I am saying this for your benefit, not to place restrictions on you. I want you to do whatever will help you serve the Lord best, with as few distractions as possible." 1 Cor 7:35

No comments:

Post a Comment